Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Escalante & Pneumonia

Last fall I a got a really good deal on a 3 night stay at the Road Creek Inn that had to be used by the end of the month.  It was scheduled before the trip to Nashville or we probably would have postponed it.  Monday night I started to have a cough but didn't think much about it.  Went to work Tuesday but left early feeling like complete crap, same on Wednesday but feeling worse.  Thursday I just stayed home sleeping. Got up Friday actually feeling human but with the worst cough. The kind that you've got to gird up for,  makes your eyes water and almost pee your pants. Went to the Dr for something for my cough, got that and a Zpack and informed I had pneumonia, who woulda thunk?  I thought because I felt better than all week we should go anyway.  It was the fever thinking.
Friday was a little questionable but by Saturday was much better.  Hiked to Lower Calf Creek Falls, absolutely beautiful! Well worth the 3 mile hike, even heaving like fool.
Sunday we decided to go see the slot canyon  a Peek a Boo Gulch.  Everything we have read and heard said little hard getting in but after that easy.  We got to the entrance and the "little hard" was a 10 freaking foot wall.  Now, someone had made a hand and foot hold, but they only work  if you aren't munchkin size.  There were a bunch of people getting up and going in and were getting kids in sho we thought , eh we can do it if they can.  Haha haha.  Mark got up pretty good.  Me, yeah right.  The guys in the group with the kids ended up essentially pulling me up after 2 failed attempts with one ending up sliding down the face landing on my ass in the grossest most disgusting puddle. After getting in the canyon it was supposed to be easy, forgot to mention another wall with another gross puddle at the bottom.  The idea is to hug the wall using the hand holds and scoot across.  I ended up in the mud again and being pulled up yet another wall.  In the end it was pretty cool, I've never done a ropes course or anything like that but we helped everybody get across both walls.  By the time it was done we were all buds.  It's much easier to think about  a bud pushing me up by my butt than a complete random ass  stranger. ;0 .  Huge shout out and huge thank you to my new buddies Kathy, Jeff, Victor and I can't remember the other guys name.   Here are a couple of pics Kathy took.



It was a very cool experience.  I'm almost an outdoor kinda girl now and I've got the wounds to prove it. Ok, they're really dumb, (sliding down the rock will take some skin off) but I got some.  In the fall we are going to take the kids to the Grand Canyon, I'm ready!  Bring on dirty stuff. 
  

No comments: