Wednesday, August 22, 2012

It's been a while.......

Lessons come in many forms, sometimes they sneak in and sometimes they walk up and smack ya.
For a long time I've thought I have, um, an interesting job.  Not interesting in the same way that that researchers do or cops/fire people do but interesting in it's very own special way.  Proprietary education gives you the opportunity to meet & work with people you may never have met otherwise.  Co-workers and students.  This isn't going to be a rant about work or idiots driving to work or anything like that.  I need to say this right up front because if I wait and explain first you might not get all the way to what I want to say, by no fault of yours but because I may loose my train of thought. 
So, family & friends I want you to know I feel so blessed (yes blessed) to have you in my life.  Thank you for all that you do and are. I need to apologize for all of the times I have slighted, offended and hurt. I'm sure there are many, some I am aware of and some I'm not either because I didn't get called out on it or I missed the obvious cues.  Please assume ignorance not malice, I wouldn't ever do it on purpose.  There are people in my life that are amazing people that I admire that I have forgotten to make sure they know.  These are the people who always get the brunt of what ever negative emotions/actions I have and or do.  There are times when I have a quota on nice/friendly/helpful and use it all up and any reserve with /on everyone/thing but them.  Unfortunately Mark, mom & dad end up taking the brunt of my rants, it's because they are safe, not (believe it or not) because I enjoy tormenting them.  I need to thank them for their patience and wise counsel, even when I ignore it.  When I met Mark all of  the pieces came together and it's wonderful.  I can't believe my parents made it through all of us (the good, bad & the ugly) and stayed moderately sane and married for 43 years.  My grandma is amazingly strong, I can not imagine (I'm guessing here) but after 60 some odd years together waking up with out your partner must be so hard.  Speaking of strong, my aunt Kelly is one of the most incredible people I have ever met. Her grace and humor is remarkable and most amazingly she keeps us.  :)  There are people and things I could go on and on about, but I'm going to call it here for right now. 
THANK YOU!  THANK YOU! Even if I never tell you all how much I love you and am so grateful for you. 
So now the thought is "why is she being sappy all of a sudden?"  Well, this is where the interesting job comes in.  First, I have to say that people that work in private education are a very special group of people, even the ones who only stop in for a sec, wise up and run like hell.  Some pretty amazing people, crazy as hell but amazing. 
Well, the sappy and lesson comes on the heels of several very interesting (and in some cases disheartening and some very surprising) conversations with students/grads. 
There are so many people that have no family and in some cases few friends.  I have this in spades. For those with friends and family, there are ones who would be better off with neither,  because they are either mean, nasty, crazy or just plain not capable of love, kindness or compassion.  I've got some crazies but they are all capable of love, kindness and compassion and it is readily available in copious amounts.  I don't have the words to say how much it means to me to be so lucky.  I love you and thank you.

No comments: